In Hindi Literature, if you might have studied in your school, we were taught about the 'Nav-rasa' or the nine states of mind or emotions or flavors, as I like to call it. Each 'rasa' leaves behind a different taste. After reading a poem or a story, the reader has the same sense of savor that the author wants to make them feel through his work. Building of an emotion in the reader's mind is the author's talent.
Recalling what my teacher had taught me, the nine 'rasas' are:
1. Shringar Rasa: Feeling of Love and attraction. Lets go for a Coffee?
2. Raudra Rasa: Feeling of Anger and fury. Kill that bastard.
3. Karunya Rasa: Feeling Pity and Compassion. Aww! poor thing.
4. Bhibhatsa Rasa: Disgusting! Feels like Yuck!
5. Bhayanak Rasa: Horror. No, don't turn back.
6. Adbhuta Rasa: Amazement. Yay! I won the lottery.
7. Shanta Rasa: Peace.
8. Veera Rasa: In Heroic mood. THIS IS SPARTA!
9. Hasya Rasa: Comedy. Fall off the terrace, laughing.
So, these are the nine primary Rasas.
I will be posting poems, short stories, haikus and 55s in the coming days under these aesthetics and try to give you the taste of each.
And I invite you all to submit your entries under 'The Nine Flavors'.
Write up stories, poems or whatever that comes in your mind but just remember to mention which Rasa or flavor(s) you have used in your entry(s) at the bottom of your post.
So, now that you have the prompt with you, You can submit your links here or in the comment section below.
Thank You. I hope too see a decent participation.
P.S. This is no contest.
But, the best entries will be given a mention and a Grand Salute by Mithun Da.